Content provided by

Children travelling alone

Two people with suitcases at an airport.
  • The minimum age of a person permitted to travel alone on British Airways is 14 years of age (except on flights operated by SUN-AIR of Scandinavia).
  • If young flyers are accompanied by someone who is aged 16 or over (on the same or a linked booking), British Airways will allow them to travel.
  • All young flyers aged under 16 and travelling alone must complete a parental/guardian consent form before travel, regardless of when the booking was made. The form is available to download here. A copy of the parent/guardian’s current passport (or other form of photographic identification showing a signature) must be attached to this form.
  • If you would like to make a booking for a person under the age of 16 who is travelling on their own, this cannot be made on Please contact British Airways to make the booking. Our partner airlines may have different regulations, age limits and charges so please check these with them directly.

* Except flights operated by SUN-AIR, where children over 5 years of age will be able to travel alone.

The parent/guardian should ensure that the young person carries with them at all times:

  • Any necessary travel documentation such as valid passport(s), visas and proof of return travel (as required).
  • A signed British Airways consent form and copy of parent/guardian’s passport or other form of photographic identification showing a signature attached to the form.
  • Any required medication and/or health certificates.
  • The ability to communicate with their parent/guardian and/or the person collecting them at the destination (please ensure all phones/mobile devices are fully charged, with sufficient credit and roaming is activated).
  • The means of payment should it be necessary for any expenses. Please note that on short-haul flights British Airways offers a drink service and refreshments from Marks & Spencer which are payable only by debit or credit card or Avios.

If a young flyer is travelling on their own, please be aware that they will be booked to travel as an adult, and therefore will be making their way through departure and arrival airports and boarding their flight(s) without a chaperone. British Airways cannot accept parental responsibility for the young person. We recommend that the parent or guardian accompanying the young flyer to the airport waits until their flight departs before leaving the terminal.

Children travelling alone on SUN-AIR operated flights

SUN-AIR allows young children between the ages of 5 - 11 years to travel without a parent or legal guardian provided you contact the airline in advance. Children over the age of 12 can travel unaccompanied on SUN-AIR operated flights, although young flyers between 12 - 16 years can use the SUN-AIR Unaccompanied Minor service if requested.

There is a service fee for the SUN-AIR Unaccompanied Minor service. This cannot be booked online and must be booked and paid for in advance.

Please contact SUN-AIR for more information.

SUN-AIR routes

Different legal requirements by country

Some countries' immigration departments require additional documentation for all children travelling into, out of or transiting through their country. In addition, some countries have specific requirements for unaccompanied children, children travelling with another person other than their parent or guardian and those accompanied by only one parent/guardian.

The extra documentation that you may require varies depending on the country, so please check with the relevant country authorities to make sure you have everything you need before you travel.

The IATA Travel Centre can advise you what documentation is required for entry to each country. Just make sure you use the date of birth of your child to ensure the extra requirements are displayed.

Check the IATA Travel centre for documentation required when travelling with children

You may find the following links useful for travel within Europe:

Requirements for children travelling within Europe can be found on website

Further information about taking your child out of the UK